[vlc] no sound from winmediaplayer 10

Joe Pitts jpitts at hvc.rr.com
Thu Oct 7 22:56:55 CEST 2004

Hello,

I'm streaming a DVD disk from Linux FC2(2.6.8-1.521kernel); using vlc 0.7.2
settings are: Output =  mmsh
                   Encapsulation = mpeg1
                   Video Trans = wmv2  bitrate=1024
                   Audio Trans = mp3    bitrate=192,   channel=2
                *** I have tried all of the available audio options
                with the same negative results:

In messages I get 3 lines in red:
streamout_transcode error: cannot find decoder (avcodec)
streamout_transcode error: cannot create audio chain
main error: cannot create packetizer output

I guess I neet to know where can I obtain the "avcodec" decoder ???

 Please feel free to improve on these settings ... I'm new to this and
trying to get all the help
that anyone will offer

The stream is received on  XP Pro (SP2) box on my network using vlc 0.7.2
accessing the stream with  mms://www.kangol.homelinux.net:1234

The stream comes up through window media player 10 with no sound and plays
the intermittently ... alternating between filling the buffer and playing
... when it is filling the buffer it pauses the playback.

Thanks in advance
Joe9