[vlc] Re: no sound from winmediaplayer 10

Benjamin PRACHT bigben+spam at videolan.org
Thu Oct 7 23:16:00 CEST 2004

On Thu, Oct 07, 2004, Joe Pitts wrote :

> Hello,
>
> I'm streaming a DVD disk from Linux FC2(2.6.8-1.521kernel); using vlc 0.7.2
> settings are: Output =  mmsh
>                   Encapsulation = mpeg1
>                   Video Trans = wmv2  bitrate=1024
>                   Audio Trans = mp3    bitrate=192,   channel=2
>                *** I have tried all of the available audio options
>                with the same negative results:
>
> In messages I get 3 lines in red:
> streamout_transcode error: cannot find decoder (avcodec)
> streamout_transcode error: cannot create audio chain
> main error: cannot create packetizer output
>
> I guess I neet to know where can I obtain the "avcodec" decoder ???
>
> Please feel free to improve on these settings ... I'm new to this and
> trying to get all the help
> that anyone will offer
>
> The stream is received on  XP Pro (SP2) box on my network using vlc 0.7.2
> accessing the stream with  mms://www.kangol.homelinux.net:1234
>
> The stream comes up through window media player 10 with no sound and plays
> the intermittently ... alternating between filling the buffer and playing
> ... when it is filling the buffer it pauses the playback.

About the error above, this could be related to the fact ffmpeg has been
compiled whithout a52 support, but cannot be sure whithout any other
info.

About your issue, you should defenitely try a more recent, experimental
version, such as 0.8.0-test2. lots of fixes on the mms/asf part have
been done since 0.7.2.

--
Benjamin Pracht