[vlc] Re: VLC Error

Gildas Bazin gbazin at altern.org
Thu Oct 21 10:19:37 CEST 2004

On Tuesday 19 October 2004 20:23, Chris Garner wrote:
> Dear Sir or Madam,
>
> I have recently installed the VLC media player on to two of my PCs.  I
> am having an issue with on of the PCs playing the network stream.  Once
> I encountered this issue I installed it on the second PC to ensure the
> downloads was intact.  On the second PC I was able to enter the
> multicast address and port number and receive the network stream.  On
> the original PC I went back and ensure I entered the stream information
> correctly.  I did and still not video stream.  The PC unable to receive
> the stream is an IBM laptop T-41.  It has an internal 10/100 NIC as well
> as a wireless interface. I am using the internal interface to connect to
> the network.  I thought the wireless interface might be causing
> confusion so I disabled it.  Still I was unable to receive the video.  I
> looked through the different parameters to see if I could select a
> specific interface, but I did not see any such selection.
>
> We have run across similar issues in the past where a VPN software
> caused an issue when running the VLC software.  To resolve the issue we
> disabled the VPN software and we were able to get the stream on the VLC.
> IN this case we disabled the VPN software as well.  The only other thing
> I can think of is on user had a previous version of VLC installed, I
> believe 0.6.4.  He had been able to get it to work and then installed
> IBM Access Connection.  After that was installed the VLC version that
> had worked no longer works.
>
> Have these issues been encountered.  Is there any way I can further
> troubleshoot this in order to find out what is causing the issue?

First, when running into an issue, always start by reseting the VLC
preferences. Lots of problems come from users messing up with the
preferences.

Also, if you are using multicasting then the problem likely is that your
routing tables aren't setup correctly (are not using the correct
interface). I would suggest to fix them or otherwise use the --iface-addr
option of VLC to specify which interface to use.

--
Gildas