[vlc] Re: Loading time for embedded vlc grows

James MacLean macleajb at ednet.ns.ca
Fri Oct 22 02:27:27 CEST 2004

Peter Maersk-Moller wrote:

> Hi James
>
>> As a summary, it appeared, at least when I was testing, that the vlc
>> plugin was actually downloading each file twice. Once via vlc playing
>> it natively and once as it downloaded it to Mozilla's cache. By
>> hacking a bit at the code, I stopped the cache download and that was
>> a big benefit here while testing over slow links.
>

> Hmm, in my case I stream live TV, so there are no files to download,
> but you may have a point. I do cache for 1500ms by default using
> the livedotcom access module, but that doesn't account for the other
> 2.5 seconds.

For fun I have attached the patch which affects 2 files in the mozilla
dir if you wanted to try it.

I have not done much testing on these lately as it was for a school
solution over 512K links and when I could not get MP4's to stream
smoothly my interested parties lost interest :(.

Maybe it will help someone or suggest the right fix ;).

later,
JES