[vlc] Re: Loading time for embedded vlc grows

Peter Maersk-Moller peter at maersk-moller.net
Mon Oct 11 22:24:21 CEST 2004

Hi James

James MacLean wrote:
> Peter Maersk-Moller wrote:
>> ....and lot more...
>> Taking a wild shot from the hip, I'd say that every time a
>> vlc plugin needs to be loaded, it loads all previous vlc instances
>> again plus a new one etc.
> Attached some previous information I had found a while back. The patches
> will likely not apply, and I expect folks already fixed the problems,
> but I have not investigated them down to see :(.

Tried both 0.7.2 and 0.8,0 test 2 with the same result, so that has
apparently not been fixed.

> As a summary, it appeared, at least when I was testing, that the vlc
> plugin was actually downloading each file twice. Once via vlc playing it
> natively and once as it downloaded it to Mozilla's cache. By hacking a
> bit at the code, I stopped the cache download and that was a big benefit
> here while testing over slow links.

Hmm, in my case I stream live TV, so there are no files to download,
but you may have a point. I do cache for 1500ms by default using
the livedotcom access module, but that doesn't account for the other
2.5 seconds.

> take care,

Thanks.

--PMM