[vlc] Re: The illustration of the parameters of 'configure' shell command

Jean-Paul Saman jean-paul.saman at planet.nl
Mon Oct 25 23:17:26 CEST 2004

Wang jian wrote:

>hi,all
>I want to cross-compile the vlc to an embedded os platform.(btw, I  have
>already read the HOWTO  by Marc Ariberti in the doc directory.)My
>problem is:
>I don't know how to use the 'configure' shell command, which I guess is
>more important  and complicated than 'make' shell command.

You need the autoconf package for that. Usually it is installed already
on your Linux system. If so then call in your shell:
./configure --help

This will provide you with all the options needed. Your best bet to get
started is to run the scripts from the ipkg directory:
ipkb/rules.h3600 for instance. Change the file paths inthere to reflect
your buildsystem.

If you have VLC from the subversion archive then you need to run:
./bootstrap first.

>please tell me which related parameters should I add ?
>like, 'build, host,target,ARCH,with-tuning??,CC,CFLAGS,LDFLAGS,etc)
>for example, the meaning of 'build' of configure is not very clear to me,what
>does it mean by 'guessed'?

ipkg/rules.h3600 is a good example for VLC building. Beware that it
assumes all the necessary libraries are already compiled.

>And , if anybody has seen the 'configure' file , you can find a line which
>sets 'cross-compiler' to 'no'...Then if I want to cross-compile vlc , should I
>change it ?

Never read the configure script yourself. It will make your head hurt
;-) Read the configure.ac script and autoconf documentation, that is
hard enough already.

>Thanks in advance.
>p.s: I will also be very appreciated if anybody can tell me the whole
> process of cross-compile under the platforms like mine.
>
>                    Joshua Wang

Read the Howto Marc Ariberti made.

--

Many greetings,
     Jean-Paul Saman

           VLC iPAQ maintainer (http://www.videolan.org)
          RedHat Certified Engineer (RHCE: 807202745005548)