[vlc] Re: optimum bitrate for streaming Mpeg2-ts

Peter Maersk-Moller peter at maersk-moller.net
Mon Oct 25 10:15:52 CEST 2004

Hi Jean-Paul

Jean-Paul Saman wrote:
> Jeroen Heijhoff wrote:
>> Hello,
>> I'd like to know if there is a optimum bitrate for streaming MPEG2-ts
>> streams.
>> I want to go streams MPEG2-ps to MPEG2-ts and I just want to know if
>> streaming
>> 5Mbps streams instead of (for instance) 4Mbps really does add
>> something to quality etc.
> To make matters even more confusing:
> A general bitrate of about 3.5MBps / 4MBps (like in DVB streams) can
> easily go upto 8 MBps temporarily when using VBR (Variable Bitrate
> encoding). Which is general more used then CBR (Constant Bitrate encoding).

Hmm, how does it work on a transponder with a fixed bandwidth ?

I assume that a generic satellite transponder has a fixed bandwidth
of approx 45Mbps ? Since the transponder usually (not always) has
mutiple TV-channels and audio channels, they can not all peak
at 8-9 Mbps at the same time. Is there some reserved common
pool of spare bandwidth that they can share and use if available.

If yes, then I assume they sometimes can not use the extra bandwidth
leading to a temporary corruption in a stream ?

Kind regards

--PMM