[vlc] Re: optimum bitrate for streaming Mpeg2-ts

Jean-Paul Saman jean-paul.saman at planet.nl
Tue Oct 26 19:16:32 CEST 2004

Peter Maersk-Moller wrote:

> Hi Jean-Paul
>
> Jean-Paul Saman wrote:
>
>> Jeroen Heijhoff wrote:
>>
>>> Hello,
>>> I'd like to know if there is a optimum bitrate for streaming
>>> MPEG2-ts streams.
>>> I want to go streams MPEG2-ps to MPEG2-ts and I just want to know if
>>> streaming
>>> 5Mbps streams instead of (for instance) 4Mbps really does add
>>> something to quality etc.
>>
>> To make matters even more confusing:
>> A general bitrate of about 3.5MBps / 4MBps (like in DVB streams) can
>> easily go upto 8 MBps temporarily when using VBR (Variable Bitrate
>> encoding). Which is general more used then CBR (Constant Bitrate
>> encoding).
>

> Hmm, how does it work on a transponder with a fixed bandwidth ?
>
> I assume that a generic satellite transponder has a fixed bandwidth
> of approx 45Mbps ? Since the transponder usually (not always) has
> mutiple TV-channels and audio channels, they can not all peak
> at 8-9 Mbps at the same time. Is there some reserved common
> pool of spare bandwidth that they can share and use if available.

In the rare occasion that this happens one of the streams is going to
suffer. Or all are going to suffer slightly. I can imagine that if the
satellite encoder/packetiser can predict it it will either delay some
packets a bit or just do not encode/packetize all details for a scene. I
do not know how these algorithmes work.

> If yes, then I assume they sometimes can not use the extra bandwidth
> leading to a temporary corruption in a stream ?

That could happen indeed. It will show up as lost packets I guess.

--

Many greetings,
     Jean-Paul Saman

           VLC iPAQ maintainer (http://www.videolan.org)
          RedHat Certified Engineer (RHCE: 807202745005548)