[vlc] Re: optimum bitrate for streaming Mpeg2-ts

Derk-Jan Hartman hartman at videolan.org
Wed Oct 27 16:44:50 CEST 2004

This has been a long standing issue in ffmpeg. People who are trying to
author DVDs are also affected by this problem. Basically, there is no
such thing as MPEG-2 CBR, just a very close approximation to it. NULL
packets and 2 pass encoding have been suggested, the latter being the
best alternative. I'm not sure what the current status for this in
ffmpeg is. the ffmpeg-devel list archives should have some information.

DJ

On 27 okt 2004, at 15:55, Jechiam Gural wrote:

> The problem with VBR files is that not all MPEG-2 servers will be able
> to handle that format. If you whish to deploy your content on multiple
> streaming platforms TS CBR is a more safe strategy. The question
> remains if there are any optimal MPEG-2 transcoding settings known for
> a a streaming bitrate of 5 Mbps (CBR) for full screen display using
> VLC  or FFMpeg.
>
> Regards,
>
> Jechiam
>
> At 07:16 PM 10/26/2004, Jean-Paul Saman wrote:
>> Peter Maersk-Moller wrote:
>>
>>> Hi Jean-Paul

>>> Hmm, how does it work on a transponder with a fixed bandwidth ?
>>>
>>> I assume that a generic satellite transponder has a fixed bandwidth
>>> of approx 45Mbps ? Since the transponder usually (not always) has
>>> mutiple TV-channels and audio channels, they can not all peak
>>> at 8-9 Mbps at the same time. Is there some reserved common
>>> pool of spare bandwidth that they can share and use if available.
>> In the rare occasion that this happens one of the streams is going to
>> suffer. Or all are going to suffer slightly. I can imagine that if
>> the satellite encoder/packetiser can predict it it will either delay
>> some packets a bit or just do not encode/packetize all details for a
>> scene. I do not know how these algorithmes work.
>>
>>> If yes, then I assume they sometimes can not use the extra bandwidth
>>> leading to a temporary corruption in a stream ?
>> That could happen indeed. It will show up as lost packets I guess.
>>
>> --
>>
>> Many greetings,
>>     Jean-Paul Saman

>> ====
>>           VLC iPAQ maintainer (http://www.videolan.org)
>>          RedHat Certified Engineer (RHCE: 807202745005548)

---
Universiteit Twente
Derk-Jan Hartman (d.hartman at student.utwente dot nl)
http://home.student.utwente.nl/d.hartman