[vlc] Re: VLC an Win XPsp2

Mark Moriarty mfmbusiness at earthlink.net
Thu Oct 28 13:58:51 CEST 2004

I test VLC on both Win2K, SP4, and WinXP SP2 (my home machine), very latest
builds of the application.

I did make sure to download DirectX 9.0c, and the latest drivers for my
graphics card.  VLC has worked fine.  The only change I've seen, since SP2,
is that Windows does install/activate firewall software that tries to block
VLC operation over the network -- you have to explicitly tell Windows that
it should permit VLC network use.

To permit VLC operation over the network, using XP with SP2, open Control
Panel, then Windows Firewall.  Select the "Exceptions" tab, then "Add".
Browse to where VLC.exe is located, and add it to the permitted programs.

Concerning DVDs, at least the latest builds seem to work fine with XP SP2.
The only oddity I have noticed is that if I want to remote-operate a DVD
(use a DVD drive shared over the LAN), the DVD (menus) operation doesn't
work -- no crash, it plays the DVD fine, just that the menus don't operate.

If you update VLC, a major revision change, say 0.7.2 to 0.8, a good thing
is to delete the contents of c:\documents and
settings\your_username\Application Data\vlc.  There are 2 files there --
plugins and vlcrc.  Then start the new vlc.

If you have trouble seeing video, try going in under Settings -- Preferences
-- Modules -- video output -- vout_directx.  Pick "Advanced options", then
turn on the middle box "Use system memory...", and Save.