[vlc] Re: Streaming MP3 over RTP (Helix DNA server)

Ross Finlayson finlayson at live.com
Sat Sep 4 06:28:59 CEST 2004

>I am using Helix DNA server in my system to stream out MP3 Files as RTP
>(over UDP) payload and with RTSP as the Control Protocol.
>
>On the client side, I am running VLC Player. I captured the RTP packets
>that starts flowing from the server and have observed that the Helix
>Server is sending only the Header+CRC+Side Information of the MP3 frame
>intact but sending the Main Data of the frame across the frames. i.e., the
>Main Data of 1 st frame may be available in the future frames.
>
>I like to know how VLC player is handling the packet loss ?  What will
>happen if we happen to loose one RTP packet in the stream ? How to
>reconstruct the MP3 frames?

Balaji,

You have identified a known problem with RFC 2250-compliant MP3/RTP
streaming: The use of a 'bit reservoir' within MP3 frames means that - when
packets get lost - the reconstructed MP3 data will contain audio artifacts.

The solution is to use the newer "audio/mpa-robust" RTP payload format
defined by RFC 3119: see <http://www.live.com/rtp-mp3/rtp-mp3.txt> and
<http://www.live.com/rtp-mp3/>.

I don't know whether "Helix DNA server" supports this; however, the
LIVE.COM "testMP3Streamer" (multicast) and "testOnDemandRTSPServer"
(unicast) test programs (see <http://www.live.com/liveMedia/>) do support
this, as an option.  (You will need to uncomment the line
         #define STREAM_USING_ADUS 1
and recompile.)  I suggest that you use one of these applications instead
of "Helix DNA server".

And, of course, the VLC media player client will handle either payload format.

	Ross Finlayson
	LIVE.COM
	<http://www.live.com/>