[vlc] Streaming MP3 over RTP (Helix DNA server)

balaji shanmugam balajiami at hotmail.com
Fri Sep 3 15:23:12 CEST 2004

Hi

I am using Helix DNA server in my system to stream out MP3 Files as RTP
(over UDP) payload and with RTSP as the Control Protocol.

On the client side, I am running VLC Player. I captured the RTP packets that
starts flowing from the server and have observed that the Helix Server is
sending only the Header+CRC+Side Information of the MP3 frame intact but
sending the Main Data of the frame across the frames. i.e., the Main Data of
1 st frame may be available in the future frames.

I like to know how VLC player is handling the packet loss ?  What will
happen if we happen to loose one RTP packet in the stream ? How to
reconstruct the MP3 frames?

Any help much appreciated
Balaji Shanmugam