[vlc] Re: [streaming] client not showing video?

Dermot McGahon dermot at dspsrv.com
Tue Sep 14 13:01:14 CEST 2004

On Mon, 13 Sep 2004 17:22:49 -0400, David Clemmer
<David_Clemmer at raytheon.com> wrote:

> The mini-server is reading off of a proprietary device using read()'s off
> of a device file, with straight TS being output.

Your problem is here.

> What happens, every time we start the client, is that it will not display
> any video.  As near as we can tell, the device is outputing a legitimate
> transport stream, and packets are being sent (and getting to the target
> machine), but nothing shows up.

It can't be legitimate ts.

> However, if we have vlms read from a
> normal file, everything works fine.  What's more, if we restart the
> server after reading a normal file, and have it go back to the device
> file
> (without doing anything to the client), everything will then work fine as
> well.

This is strange though. If you dump this stream and compare it with the
first, what is the difference?

> Going even further, it appears that VLC is getting the stream, even when
> it isn't showing it... I set it up to raw dump what came in, and it
> looked
> like a legitimate transport stream.   At least, I see 0x4710 followed by
> (what appears to be) an increasing sequence number every 188 bytes.  That
> file will not play directly either, though, FWIW.

Compare it with the one which will play after the server restart.

> As another test, we also tried reading the device file using dd, and then
> playing the resulting file back, and that worked perfectly.

So dd works, but something with your read() possibly does not.

> Anyone seen anything like this before?  Or have any ideas for anything
> else to try to figure out exactly what's going on?

Just the suggestion about comparing the stream (from the custom device)
which does play, with the stream (from the custom device) which does not
play!

Dermot.