[vlc] Re: OT: Booting a Pace DSL4000

Dermot McGahon dermot at dspsrv.com
Fri Sep 17 14:00:31 CEST 2004

On Thu, 16 Sep 2004 16:06:53 -0400, James Burns <jfburns at gmail.com> wrote:

> It's true that a boot server is required, however, most of the old
> RiscOS system software has been released for free. Also there are
> linux and netbsd versions which run on the hardware. So far I've been
> able to boot "boot32" from netbsd for the "acorn" computer. The
> desktop stuff doesn't seem to work though (not that that's what I want
> to use it for anyways). Are there any free / open source packages for
> driving these boxes? They seem like a pretty economical choice with a
> good form factor.

Reset the box, and hold down the reset button for a couple of
seconds. You should be now able to configure the boot options.

I'm trying to recall. I think you just have to hold down one
button. If not, try variations or holding a couple of front
panel buttons for 3-4 seconds.

What do you want to run on this? A Pace supplied baseline or
something else. You basically set up a tftp server on another
machine, point the STB at it, and it should load. Of course,
the s/w you want to load has to be something that can run on
it.

/nfsboot/!NFSBoot/!Run

Are you exporting an nfsboot directory on another machine,
which contains these files?

"An application that loads a file of this type has not be found
the the Filer. Open a directory display containing the application
and try again."

I used to get this a lot when the boot settings were incorrect,
or the boot server changed ip address .. that kind of thing.

A RISC OS file with ! is basically an executable.

Your STB is not finding the s/w. Reconfigure the boot options.

What do you want to do with this? There is mpeg decoding h/w
but good luck to you getting anything other than the Pace
supplied binary drivers to drive it. The processor is not
up to much on its own.

Dermot.