[vlc] Re: Linux Distro

Stephen More stephen.more at gmail.com
Mon Apr 4 15:52:39 CEST 2005

I have gotten vlc installed in Fedora using freshrpms and dag, but I
have only managed to get video working, no audio.

When I execute:
vlc v4l:/dev/video0:norm=ntsc:channel=0:adev=/dev/audio0 --sout
'#transcode{vcodec=DIV3,vb=256,scale=1,acodec=mp3,ab=32,channels=2}:std{access=mmsh,mux=asfh,url=:8080}'

I get the following error:
VLC media player 0.8.1 Janus
[00000239] main private: creating httpd
[00000292] ffmpeg encoder error: cannot find encoder MPEG Audio layer 1/2/3
[00000234] stream_out_transcode private error: cannot find encoder
[00000234] stream_out_transcode private error: cannot create audio chain
[00000258] main packetizer error: cannot create packetizer output
[00000241] main http daemon: httpd doesn't reference any host, deleting
[root at hostname root]#

I think it was not compiled with the --with-ffmpeg-lame option...

If debian is the way to go, I will give Ubuntu a try. It currently
holds the #1 Page Hit Ranking  on http://distrowatch.com/

-Thanks for your opinions
Steve