[vlc] Re: Linux Distro

Torsten Spindler spindler at hbt.arch.ethz.ch
Mon Apr 4 21:56:43 CEST 2005

On Mon, 2005-04-04 at 15:52, Stephen More wrote:
> I have gotten vlc installed in Fedora using freshrpms and dag, but I
> have only managed to get video working, no audio.

That's true. In the .spec file at
http://dag.wieers.com/packages/videolan-client/videolan-client.spec
the flag for mp3 support in ffmpeg is commented:

pushd ffmpeg-%{ffmpeg_date}
    %configure \
        --disable-shared \
        --enable-gpl \
        --enable-pp
#       --enable-mp3lame \
#       --enable-faac
    %{__make} %{?_smp_mflags}
popd

In theory it's possible to change the .spec and add the --enable-mp3lame to the
configure command of ffmpeg and --with-ffmpeg-mp3lame to the vlc configure part
if lame is installed. Then a rpmbuild -bb <changed vlc.spec> will produce a vlc
that supports mp3. But I can see that building your own rpms is not the best
solution when other distributions already provide all the stuff you need.

Bye,
Torsten