[vlc] Crash on 3 different systems WinXP Home/Logitech Quickcam Express/VLC 0.8.1/0.7.2

Philip Mucci mucci at cs.utk.edu
Tue Apr 5 18:18:15 CEST 2005

Hi folks,

I'm at the end of my rope, I've scoured google, the faq, the forums and
the mailing lists and haven't come up with anything.

I'm in the midst of working on a teleteaching project here in Nepal.
(I'm a computer scientist donating some time, so you don't have to ask
me if the cable was plugged in. ;-)

For this project, we were hoping to use VideoLan with an array of
donated Logitech Quickcam Express and a variety of window's boxes (I'm a
linux guy myself) running XP Home and 98SE. Videolan worked wonderfully
on my Thinkpad T23 with Logitech Notebook Pro 4000 back at the office,
so I thought this was going to be a piece of cake.

No such luck.

On every system XP Home system I have access to here, I can blue screen
the system instantly by:

1) Using the wizard to start an HTTP stream from the camera, basically
just click refresh on the video device, click logitech and continue from
there.

2) Opening the capture device, repeat the refresh and click configure,
bomb.

3) doing 2 but not clicking configure and just continuing.

So, I read on one of the mailing lists that everything should be the
latest and greatest, but is that really realistic for most of the world?
Nevertheless, I downloaded the latest Direct X and Logitech drivers,
still crash city.

The message from bluescreen?
STOP: 0x0000007F (0x00000000,0x00000000,0x00000000,0x00000000)

If anyone has any tips on this, they are greatly appreciated. I'm not
using this to send porn into my bedroom (not yet), I'm using this to
bridge the education gap in remote villages in nepal. Getting this
working really makes a difference.

Thanks again,

Philip Mucci

www.nepalwireless.net