[vlc] Re: Crash on 3 different systems: Logitech's fault, now how to stream a RAW webcam feed?

Philip Mucci mucci at cs.utk.edu
Wed Apr 6 16:04:05 CEST 2005

Hi folks,

Thanks for the replies. Indeed, it's logitech's crappy software. Even
though I have the latest service packs, directX and Logitech driver, the
logitech driver can be crashed easily by simply right clicking on the
quick cam in the system tray and going to "Camera Settings", then
clicking "Driver Settings" button. Boom, crashola. Thanks Logitech.

I am able to get by this by opening the "Camera Settings" from the
system tray and then clicking the "Default Settings" button. This seems
to put the camera in a saner state and I can, IF I enable dshow-config
with the device properties tab, get VLC to play nice.

So, now that we've identified the cause, on to the next issue!

We have a local wireless lan, with pretty good bandwidth. The camera is
a USB-1 camera with a 640x480 sensor...which means the best we can do is
15 frames per second. Since we are displaying the blackboard as well as
the teacher, we want the highest quality video possible. We can eat all
of the LAN bandwidth if necessary. And the load on the CPU should be as
little as possible because we'll be lucky if we get Pentium III's out in
the bush.

Can someone recommend the best way to stream 640x480 video from a web
cam over UDP or HTTP? Is it possible without transcoding?
Selecting RAW and no transcoding initiates a connection, but nothing
displays. Messages on the client just say "garbage at input". If I need
transcoding, what combo should give me the highest quality, lowest CPU
requirement (with highest network bw ok)?

Thanks for any and all help.

Namaste,

Philip