[vlc] Re: VLC with AXIS 241Q server and MPEG4?

Jean-Paul Saman jean-paul.saman at planet.nl
Tue Apr 12 08:30:36 CEST 2005

Marcel Ruff wrote:

> Sigmund Augdal wrote:
>
>> On Mon, Apr 11, 2005 at 07:39:51PM +0200, Marcel Ruff wrote:
>>
>>> has anybody successfully used VLC with AXIS
>>> 241Q in RTP/UPD multicast mode and MPEG4?
>>

>> I have unsuccessfully tried to view streams from one axis(I belive)
>> camera.
>> This was however set up for sending through http or similar.
>

> I'll report back my results, i think the AXIS video server
> is using mpeg4ip ...

 From AXIS website
(http://www.axis.com/products/video/about_networkvideo/mpeg4.htm)
itself: "Axis' implementation of the MPEG-4 image compression standard
follows the ISO/IEC 14496-2 standard (also known as MPEG-4 Visual or
MPEG-4 Part 2)."

Which might be supported by the FFMPEG libraries VLC is using for MPEG4.
In short just try in a very simple setup.

>> It should be possible, but the integration part will need some
>> coding. Note
>> that VLC is gpl, and if you use vlc inside your application, this
>> application must be gpl or compatible as well.
>

> The GPL license issue is another problem for me.
> (Note: I respect and honour all open source developers for their
> beautiful piece of work.)
>
> Is mozilla getting GPL software when the vlc plugin is loaded,
> if yes i think nobody may use the plugin as nobody can change
> anothers license during the plugin is loaded?

The mozilla license is GPL compatible AFAIK

> Is the adobe pdf plugin getting GPL software when the vls plugin is
> loaded
> additionally?

No, the Mozilla license is in effect and not the VLC's because the VLC
plugin doesn't load the PDF plugin or is dependend on it. (I am no a lawyer)

> Do you know any other open source video player which
> is cabapable doing what i need with a more free license
> like LGPL (for example could mpeg4ip do it which is under Mozilla
> license)?

You are looking for a BSD style license actually. I don't know any Open
Source Video Player using this license.

Greetings,
Jean-Paul Saman