[vlc] Re: VLC with AXIS 241Q server and MPEG4?

Dermot McGahon dermot at dspsrv.com
Tue Apr 12 09:50:45 CEST 2005

On Tue, 12 Apr 2005 07:50:55 +0200, Marcel Ruff <mr at marcelruff.info> wrote:

> The GPL license issue is another problem for me.
> (Note: I respect and honour all open source developers for their
> beautiful piece of work.)

[-]

> Do you know any other open source video player which
> is cabapable doing what i need with a more free license
> like LGPL (for example could mpeg4ip do it which is under Mozilla
> license)?

There isn't a full-featured LGPL media player that I'm aware of.

If you want tight integration, you could use ffmpeg as others have
said, but you then have to write a lot of networking, demuxing and
video output code. Basically you would have to write a media player
minus the codecs.

An approach I believe respects both the licence and the project is
to make useful changes to vlc and fold them back into the project.

Keep your gui/control application completely seperate and control
vlc through one of the control interfaces (rc/telnet/http).

On that note, I really owe the vlc project a clean no-decorations
patch.

Dermot.