[vlc] Re: videolan error

Javier Martínez jmnohales at hotmail.com
Thu Apr 21 09:26:08 CEST 2005

It seems a shared memory error. Maybe VLC does not clean shared memory
correctly when the application is killed.

You could disable use of shared memory and the error would dissapear.

In xcommon.c you may comment the lines :

p_vout->p_sys->b_shm =
                 ( XShmQueryExtension( p_vout->p_sys->p_display ) == True );

Example with context:

static int InitDisplay( vout_thread_t *p_vout )
{
#ifdef MODULE_NAME_IS_x11
    XPixmapFormatValues *       p_formats;                 /* pixmap formats
*/
    XVisualInfo *               p_xvisual;           /* visuals informations
*/
    XVisualInfo                 xvisual_template;         /* visual template
*/
    int                         i_count;                       /* array size
*/
#endif

#ifdef HAVE_SYS_SHM_H
    p_vout->p_sys->b_shm = 0;

    if( config_GetInt( p_vout, MODULE_STRING "-shm" ) )
    {
#   ifdef SYS_DARWIN
        /* FIXME: As of 2001-03-16, XFree4 for MacOS X does not support Xshm
*/
#   else
// THIS ONE           p_vout->p_sys->b_shm =
// AND THIS ONE                 ( XShmQueryExtension(
p_vout->p_sys->p_display ) == True );
#   endif

I know this is not the most elegant solution, but this may work in your code
(vlc-0.7.0).

Regards:
   Javier