[vlc] Re: vlc code problem with video

Benjamin Pracht bigben+spam at videolan.org
Thu Apr 21 17:55:33 CEST 2005

On Thu, Apr 21, 2005, ikyben at ozu.es wrote :
> Hello,
>
> I'm relatively new to videolan.It has fascinating me and lately I have
> started looking into the source code.
> I'm using Debian testing, but I use the svn code (0.8.2 experimental).
>
> I have two main questions:
>
> a) vlc (from debian testing) does not play anymore files without proper
> extension; for example, supposing a file called my_file, it is not played
> as 'vlc my_file' (segmentation fault) but it is played as 'vlc
> my_file.ts'. The file is the same (binary identically), but it seems that
> is has to have the proper extension.

Well, that probably means that one of the demux that are probed in order
to find the right one is buggy. Could you please send us a complete log
? (vlc -vv)

> b) source code is difficult to understand, documentation is reduced; I
> have begun with video output header files, and something strange has come
> to me related to 'video_output.h':
> struct vout_thread_t{ ....} has among others:
> picture_heap_t render;
> picture_heap_t output;
> picture_t p_picture[2*VOUT_MAX_PICTURES+1]
>
> what are the differences between them? are they really needed? it seems
> the same variable.

Well, don't think you begun with the easiest par ;) I'm unable to
answer you, but you'll probably get more answers by posting to
vlc-devel at videolan.org or, better, by coming to our IRC channel:
#videolan on irc.freenode.net.

--
BigBen