[vlc] Re: about vlc supporting

zhu zxt zxt_zhu at yahoo.com.cn
Sat Apr 23 06:38:12 CEST 2005

   Thanks for your reply. You said that VLC supports source specific multicast if there is support of igmpv3 and likely of PIM-SSM on the network. Would you please show me how to configure VLC media player if the demands satisfied.    Look forward to your reply.

Benjamin Pracht <bigben+spam at videolan.org> wrote:
On Fri, Apr 22, 2005, zhu zxt wrote :
> I use the VLC media player 0.8.1 (wxWindows interface). A problem puzzles me when vlc implementing multicast.
> If there are more than one multicast servers working at the same time for one multicast address, are there conflict streamings at the clients? If there are, how can I make a client choose a specific multicast server?
> Thank you! Look forward to your apply.

There is generally an issue (ie, unreadable stream) if both servers send
on the same UDP port. A solution is to use source specific multicast,
that allows to choose the server. VLC supports this, but you need
support of igmpv3 and likely of PIM-SSM (perhaps other multicast routing
protacols support source multicast as well) on your network.

--
BigBen

150万曲MP3疯狂搜,带您闯入音乐殿堂
美女明星应有尽有,搜遍美图、艳图和酷图