[vlc] Re: Failed to play files transcoded by mp4v codec encapsulated with asf, mp4 mpeg ps in wmv10~~

Benjamin Pracht bigben+spam at videolan.org
Mon Apr 25 13:09:50 CEST 2005

On Mon, Apr 25, 2005, boku wrote :
> Dear all,
>     As titled, don't know where the problem is since i checked out the
> vlc-streaming features and found it should okay by encapsulating mp4v
> into asf, mp4, or even mpeg ps.  The command i use is as follows:
> :sout=#transcode{vcodec=mp4v,vb=512,scale=1,acodec=mp3,ab=192,channels=2}:duplicate{dst=std{access=file,mux=ps,url="D:\Project\Test\VideoSequence\VQEG\vlc_gen\truempg_mp4v_ps_512.mpg"}}

AFAIK, WMP10 doesn't support the mp4 encapsulation method without a
further plugin. I also doubt it supports mpeg4 in ps, as this is quite
an unsual setup. Mpeg4 in asf should work, at least when produced by
0.8.1 or by the nightly builds (I think there were some fixes in the asf
muxer since 0.8.1).

> I can't even play the transcoded output file in VLC encapsulated by
> MPEG PS or MPEG 1.

Well, as I said, this is a strange combination. I can't even rememeber
if it is standard or not. Again, A nightly build might be able to read
it.

> Another question is: I found that there are "MPEG 1" selection in
> encap. method?  What kind of this encap. method is?  Or what's the
> difference among MPEG-PS, MPEG-TS and MPEG-1?

MPEG 1 is rougthly the same as MPEG-PS (which is part of the MPEG 2
specifications). MPEG-TS is also part of MPEG2, and is used for
streaming applications.

--
BigBen