[vlc] FedoraPPC compile issues

Cian Cullinan cian.cullinan at gmail.com
Mon Apr 25 13:41:45 CEST 2005

Hi, I've just finished compiling vlc-snapshot-20050424 on a mac-mini
running Fedora Core 3 PPC and had a few problems outlined below.

1)First, I installed the prerequisite software:
  i) libdvdread-0.9.4 from tarball
  ii) libmad-0.15.1b from tarball
  iii) ffmepg-0.4.9-pre1 from CVS
  iv) mpeg2dec-0.4.0b from tarball
  v) wxGTK2-2.4.2-8 from RPM
  vi) mozilla-devel-1.7.13-17 from RPM

2) I had to edit the configure script to give the correct path to
xpidl, I changed the lines:

if test -z "${XPIDL}" -o ! -x "${XPIDL}"; then
  XPIDL="/usr/lib/mozilla/xpidl"
fi

if test -z "${XPIDL}" -o ! -x "${XPIDL}"; then
  XPIDL="/usr/lib/mozilla-1.7.3/xpidl"
fi

I also had to edit my /usr/bin/mozilla-config script so it returned a
valid "idlflags" value, but this is not a vlc problem.

3) I ran configure
  $ ./configure --enable-dvdread --enable-v4l --enable-pvr
--enable-mozilla \
   --with-ffmpeg-tree=/usr/local/src/ffmpeg/ --enable-ffmpeg

4) Then I had to edit the config.h file to enable altivec support:
  #define HAVE_ALTIVEC_H 1

4) I added "-maltivec" to the end of the "CFLAGS" string in the
Makefile in modules/misc/memcpy, and modules/video_chroma (the
compiler complains and exits if I don't)

5) I ran "make"

Obviously this is all a bit messy, but it's what I had to do to get
VLC to compile. Is there a cleaner way of doing it, has someone else
on the list compiled on the same architecture without jumping through
these hoops? Specifically:

a) Can we add an option to the configure script so that one can pass
it the correct path to xpidl?
b) Why isn't altivec correctly detected/set, how can we fix
this(including use of the -maltivec flag)?

Cian