[vlc] Re: FedoraPPC compile issues

Jean-Paul Saman jean-paul.saman at planet.nl
Mon Apr 25 22:32:24 CEST 2005

Cian Cullinan wrote:

>Hi, I've just finished compiling vlc-snapshot-20050424 on a mac-mini
>running Fedora Core 3 PPC and had a few problems outlined below.
>
>1)First, I installed the prerequisite software:
>  i) libdvdread-0.9.4 from tarball
>  ii) libmad-0.15.1b from tarball
>  iii) ffmepg-0.4.9-pre1 from CVS
>  iv) mpeg2dec-0.4.0b from tarball
>  v) wxGTK2-2.4.2-8 from RPM
>  vi) mozilla-devel-1.7.13-17 from RPM
>
>2) I had to edit the configure script to give the correct path to
>xpidl, I changed the lines:

modification is not necessary. Just overriding the XIPDL=
environment/shell variable would have given you the same effect.

>if test -z "${XPIDL}" -o ! -x "${XPIDL}"; then
>  XPIDL="/usr/lib/mozilla/xpidl"
>fi

>if test -z "${XPIDL}" -o ! -x "${XPIDL}"; then
>  XPIDL="/usr/lib/mozilla-1.7.3/xpidl"
>fi

supplying on the build commandline would have given the same result:
 XPIDL="/usr/lib/mozilla-1.7.3/xpidl" ./configure .....your_options....
--enable-mozilla
 XPIDL="/usr/lib/mozilla-1.7.3/xpidl" make

>I also had to edit my /usr/bin/mozilla-config script so it returned a
>valid "idlflags" value, but this is not a vlc problem.

indeed

>3) I ran configure

Add  XPIDL="/usr/lib/mozilla-1.7.3/xpidl"

>  $  XPIDL="/usr/lib/mozilla-1.7.3/xpidl" ./configure --enable-dvdread --enable-v4l --enable-pvr
>--enable-mozilla \
>   --with-ffmpeg-tree=/usr/local/src/ffmpeg/ --enable-ffmpeg
>

>4) Then I had to edit the config.h file to enable altivec support:
>  #define HAVE_ALTIVEC_H 1

configure.in should have autodetected this.

>4) I added "-maltivec" to the end of the "CFLAGS" string in the
>Makefile in modules/misc/memcpy, and modules/video_chroma (the
>compiler complains and exits if I don't)
>
>5) I ran "make"
>
>Obviously this is all a bit messy, but it's what I had to do to get
>VLC to compile. Is there a cleaner way of doing it, has someone else
>on the list compiled on the same architecture without jumping through
>these hoops? Specifically:
>
>a) Can we add an option to the configure script so that one can pass
>it the correct path to xpidl?

See above.

>b) Why isn't altivec correctly detected/set, how can we fix
>this(including use of the -maltivec flag)?

The detection is probably only done for the MacOS X case. So dig into
configure.ac and add a check for PPC in there. The VLC team is happy to
take a patch for this.

Greetings,
Jean-Paul Saman.