[vlc] Re: multicast over wifi

faizal jeswent pvfaizal at yahoo.co.in
Thu Apr 28 12:09:32 CEST 2005

Hi Harshal,
I've obtained a new Orinoco AP where the multicast rates cane be set as 1,2,5.5, 11. I have tried with 2 and 5.5 , but the video reception is choppy and the messages window says TS discontinuity. Any idea on how to proceed?
Regards,
faizal

"Chhaya, Harshal" <hchhaya at ti.com> wrote:
> I'm using a Pinnacle TV card to multicast a TV channel over a LAN.
> All the recipients over the cable are able to receive the
> multicast well. However, in the laptops receiving the stream over
> wifi, the picture and sound quality are very bad. Even with laptops
> placed close to the transceivers.
> What should I do to improve the reception?

Hi Faizal,

The wireless LAN protocol requires that broadcasts and multicasts
be sent at lower rates than unicast packets. The coding used at
lower rates is more robust to interference and this ensures that
everyone in the network can receive the packets successfully.

You can check this by looking at the recd data rates on the
clients.

Check if your WLAN AP has a setting to change this behavior.
If it does, just tell it to send the broadcasts/multicasts
at unicast rates.

If not, you may have no option but to send multiple unicasts
for the wireless clients.

BTW, I am more interested in how you multicast live TV. Does
Pinnacle provide the software to do this or you using a
3rd party or custom app to stream the video?

Regards,
- Harshal