[vlc] Re: multicast over wifi

Peter Maersk-Moller peter at maersk-moller.net
Thu Apr 28 12:47:13 CEST 2005

Hi

faizal jeswent wrote:
> Hi Harshal,
> I've obtained a new Orinoco AP where the multicast rates cane be set as
> 1,2,5.5, 11. I have tried with 2 and 5.5 , but the video reception is
> choppy and the messages window says TS discontinuity. Any idea on how to
> proceed?

I stream 2Mbps MPEG-4 over my Orinoco/Lucent AP at 11Mbps without problems.

1) Check on your laptop that the reception quality is top quality. How to do that
depends on your choice of OS. Even if you choose 11Mbps, bandwidth will
drop over distance.

2) Make sure nobody is using a microwave oven nearby

3) Make sure nobody uses the frequency spectrum for DECT or
other microwave links (like microwave audio/video transmitters/links).

4) Make sure that your neighbours are not running their AP on
same channel. Try switch channel.

5) On a 5.5Mbps you can at maximum stream 1.5-2Mbps, so multicasting
MPEG-2 from lets say DVB sources is out of the question. 11Mbps
gives you approx 4-5.5Mbps. What are you trying to stream ?

--PMM