[vlc] Re: Bug report ?

Benjamin Pracht bigben+spam at videolan.org
Sat Aug 20 20:42:41 CEST 2005

On Thu, Aug 18, 2005, Royer Julien wrote :
> Hello every one,
>
> Thanks for the job you're doing in vlc developpement.
>
> I'm using vlc media player 0.8.3-svn 2005 07 01 (WinCE interface) on my pocket PC DELL Axim x50V.
>
> I need to play a video (broadcasted) using a Wifi connection on my pocket PC through UDP protocol (the "VLC video server" v0.8.2 is on a PC under windows).
>
> It works really fine when I'm using an unicast adress on the server (using the IP adress of my pocket PC) but it doesn't work anymore when I'm using a multicast adress (like 224.0.0.5). I can only see some images of the video or I can hear the audio (only) if I "disable" the video...
>
> I'm sure I've already read something about this problem on a mailing list but I can't find it... Do you have any informations or plans about this "multicast" problem?

Well, most WLAN Access point really sux when it comes to multicast.
Sometimes, some tweaking allows to improve thigs a bit. For instance,
Multicast traffic is sent at the minimum speed allowed by the AP.
Multicast traffic is also buffered in the AP longer than unicast one in
most cases.

BTW, better use an address of the 239.255.0.0/16 for such tests.
224.0.0.0 is reserved for other protocols.

--
BigBen