[vlc] Re: VLC on Zaurus SL6000

Jean-Paul Saman jean-paul.saman at planet.nl
Tue Dec 13 09:06:22 CET 2005

Mark Davis wrote:
> Anyone able to get VLC to work on the Sharp Zaurus SL6000 handheld
> computer?
The version you have worked on a series of Sharp Zaurus handhelds, don't
remember if your version was one of them. Anyway due to lack of Sharp
Zaurus hardware none of the developers is currently actively maintaining
this port.

The videolan team is looking for someone who actively wants to maintain
this the port of VLC to the Sharp Zaurus PDA's. Perferably someone which
has the hardware. His role would be compiling and packaging libraries
needed by VLC and VLC itself. The Videolan team would like the resulting
packages to be put on the VLC Sharp Zaurus download page. Just sent an
e-mail to vlc-devel at videolan.org.

> When I install the files from the links on the VLC pages and run it, the
> sound is fine, but the video is goofed up (looks like it shrinks each
> line and concatenates 4 lines on to one line of the screen/frame buffer,
> then skips 3 lines, then does the same for the next 4 lines, etc).  I
> can provide sample screen shots if anyone has some ideas or wants to see
> the result in more detail.
Might be a fb driver or QT issue, but cannot be sure without access to
the hardware.

> Would this sort of issue be in VLC itself, or in libsdl?  Or somewhere
> else?
Probably outside, but the version you got is *very* old, drivers and
hardware changed since then.

> This is the ouput I get when I run VLC on various mpeg1 or 2 files with
> the screen in portrait (480 x 640) mode:
>
> VideoLAN Client 0.5.3 Natalya
> remote control interface initialized, `h' for help
> [00000121] main input: playlist item `mpeg1test.mpeg'
> Display size = 480x640
> [00000121] main input: EOF reached
> [00000121] access_file input: closing `/://mpeg1test.mpeg'

Can you view the mpeg file on your desktop?

> And here is what I get if I try to run it with the screen rotated to
> landscape (640 x 480) mode (doesn't play the video at all, as you can
> probably guess from the output):
>
> VideoLAN Client 0.5.3 Natalya
> remote control interface initialized, `h' for help
> [00000121] main input: playlist item `mpeg1test.mpeg'
> QLinuxFbScreen::connect() disp spec Transformed:Rot0:Vga:0 != server
> disp spec Transformed:Rot270:Vga:0
> Transformed driver cannot connect
> Aborted

> I have tried specifying transformations and cropping and everything I
> can think of with no better results.

> The versions of the pieces from the VLC page:
>  http://www.videolan.org/vlc/download-zaurus.html
>
>  zaurus-vlc_0.5.3_arm.ipk
>  zaurus-libsdl_1.2.5_arm.ipk
>  libffmpeg_0.4.6_20030304_arm.ipk
>  librt_2.1.3_arm.ipk
These versions are very old and probably conflict with some API's on
your current Sharp Zaurus. This will result in very strange behaviour.

> I have made some preliminary attempts to compile the latest on the
> Zaurus but have not yet managed to suceed (errors about the fact that I
> don't have the avcodec.h and related files).

You need to compile ffmpeg for that, with --enable-shared --enable-pp
--enable-release, but be sure to compile every library that is needed by
ffmpeg before compiling ffmpeg itself.

> Any insights appreciated.

See above.

Many greetings,