[vlc] Capture video / Stream with direct show:

Herbert Reyes hreys at yahoo.com
Tue Dec 27 18:21:43 CET 2005

Thank you Mark,
   for responding to the issue I am having with vlc.
  I tried to play locally,but still I just get the black screen with the same error message
  MAIN WARNING LATE PICTURE SKIPPED
  MAIN WARNING LATE PICTURE SKIPPED
  MAIN WARNING LATE PICTURE SKIPPED
  MAIN WARNING LATE PICTURE SKIPPED
  and so on

   I also change the settings input window from  0.0 to 15.0
  where you mention that is not configure to output the right color space or croma I don't have many options maybe this explain more what is wrong.   the choice I have under DERECTX VIDEO OUPUT IS YUV-RGB conversions
  and where says name of desired display device I have two choices which is
  Default or display
  That is what I can choose no name showp up for the converter.
   that says
  I don't know what to do with this any more if you can think of something
  Please let me know

  Thank you for your great effort to help
  Herb

Mark Moriarty <mfmbusiness at earthlink.net> wrote:
      I assume that you are just trying to display locally on your PC, not trying to send it over the network yet?  That is the way to go, one step at a time -- once it displays locally, transmitting over the network will be workable.

  One common thing is that the card is not configured to output the right color space, or chroma.  For instance, with my Osprey video capture card I have a half a dozen different choices -- things that say I420, YUY2, YVU9, UYVY, etc.  For my particular capture device, with its drivers, I tell it to use I420.  You change the chroma by using that "Configure" button, poking around to see where your card offers options to change it.

  Another possibility is that you are tryiing to tell the card to output too many frames per second -- that it, or the USB interface, is not able to keep up.  To adjust that, click the "Advanced Options" button on the main DirectShow Input window.  Down in "Video input frame rate" perhaps try changing it from 0.0 to 15.0.

  Good luck!