[vlc] Re: MPEG2 file incorrect time

Rett D. Walters rettw at rtwnetwork.com
Wed Feb 2 16:40:21 CET 2005

Hi,

> I am transcoding files into MPEG2-PS format. For that I am
> using
> mencoder (which in fact uses ffmpeg). I choose the codec
> to be
> mpeg2video. The resulting file appears to be an MPEG2
> file, I can
> stream it and play it. There is however one thing which is
> not
> correct: the length reported by the movie players. E.g. a
> 1min file is

> recognized as a 6secods movie. This results in a fact that
> when I

I have seen this as well - can you tell me the command
line parms you are using to create the mpeg2-ps file? What
version of Mencoder are you using?  I was under the
impression that mencoders ps multiplexer was still
considered "beta".

> transcode such file into wmv (using Windows Media Encoder)
> the
> resulting file consists only of last 6 seconds of the
> movie. How can I
> fix the problem. I am transcoding on Linux (and this is
> necessary)
> Should I use another program. Maybe someone can provide me
> with a
> command line that generates the file I need.

Unfortunately I don't know of any other program other than
transcode that can do this, but my experience with
transcode  is that the quality is not as good as
ffmpeg/mencoder.

> Thank you in advance,
> Luke

Rett Walters