[vlc] Re: Suggestion for Mac GUI

Bob Cannard bob at bobtmigo.com
Thu Feb 3 10:14:32 CET 2005

On Jan 31, 2005, at 1:00 AM, Michael Schmidt wrote:

> here's a little suggestion for Macintosh GUI of VLC: it would be nice
> if the
> control window (the one with play/pause buttons) would have the flag
> "Hide on deactivate" activated in Interface Builder.  I often
> doubleclick a
> movie file and after watching it close the player window. When I
> switch to
> another application, the control window is a little bit anoying, so
> that I
> either have to quit the VLC.app

Hit command-H to hide VLC. Bring it back by clicking its
dock icon. It's much faster than quitting and restarting
it later.

> or - more straightforward - close the control
> window.

Or put it in the dock, whichever you find more convenient.

In any case, I'd like to express the contrary view: it's
very useful to have the controller present on screen even
if another application is active, allowing VLC's controls
to be accessed instantly even while I'm working on something
else. This is particularly important in my club presentation
setting, where VLC is running a presentation on one display
while I'm working on the other and suddenly need to hit the
pause button (for example). The moment or two saved by not
having to search for the control panel can be critical.

I'm not saying that the feature Michael has asked for
couldn't be useful in some situations, but if it is
implemented, please make it switchable.

Keep up the great work,

         Bob Cannard.