[vlc] Re: MPEG2 file incorrect time

Nico Sabbi nsabbi at tiscali.it
Fri Feb 4 12:14:50 CET 2005

Luke wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I applied the attached patch and I run the following command
>
> ./mencoder -oac lavc -lavcopts acodec=mp2:abitrate=224 -ovc lavc
> -lavcopts vcodec=mpeg2video:vbitrate=4700 -mpegopts vbitrate=4700 -of
> mpeg <input> -o test.mpg

you should add keyint=15 to lavcopts and use -oac toolame -toolameopts
br=224
(lavc's mp2 is really terrible)

> I still do not get the result that I want. The movie's lenght however
> is affected. When I play it with VLC, the player seems to adjust it
> during playback. First it starts with 4,01 sec ten goes to 2,20, and
> eventually ends up with 1:00.  In addition the playback freezes from
> time to time and seeking in the file is not working properly.

using a saner keyint should solve your problems, but VLC has the bad
habit to seek to non-keyframes :(

Laurant wrote that the PS demuxer in VLC doesn't reliably determine the
duration, so at the moment your problem
can't be solved

> I am very interested in experimenting with your patch more. How can I
> know how to use the other options it provides. I looked into the
> sources but it doesn't tell me much. How about some short man?

the useful parameters are:
format=         dvd|xsvcd|mpeg1|mpeg2
tsaf              stores timestamps on all frames
size=          mpeg pack size
skip_padding   doesn't fill empty spaces at the end of packs with padding
init_adelay=    negative value in ms to set video delay (audio is
anticipated)
drop               drops the early part of audio when used with init_adelay
muxrate=      sets the nominal muxrate in the pack header (for mpeg1 and
mpeg2 it will be updated if necessary)
init_apts=
init_vpts=      initial pts values for audio and video

parameters to patch video headers:
width=, height=   usual width and height
vbitrate=  bitrate in kb/s
vaspect=   4:3 | 16:9 | 2.21:1 | 1:1
vframerate= 23.976 | 24 | 25 | 29.97 | 30 | 50 | 59.94 | 60

More discussions on the subject had better go to
mencoder-users at mplayerhq.hu,
after all this is VLC ML, not mencoder's :)

My apologies for having polluted this list.

    Nico