[vlc] Re: MPEG2 file incorrect time

Luke MPEG4hinted at o2.pl
Thu Feb 3 12:19:13 CET 2005

Nico Sabbi wrote:

>>> as I wrote to the author in mencoder-users at mplayerhq.hu,
>>> the current muxer (mpeg1 only) can't.
>>> The ps-muxer I posted in mplayer-users at the beginning
>>> of january is a real mpeg2/1 muxer, can also patch the
>>> sequence
>>> header's parameters and do many other things.
>>>

>> Great - but.....
>>
>> I have been unable to find this posting in gmane or the
>> mplayerhq.hu archives.  Is there some other place I may be
>> able to find it?  All of the messages I am seeing authored
>> by you in Jan 05, don't mention or include any patches.  I
>> am really interested in trying this out.  I have also seen
>> a posting around Jan 22 in mplayer-users about someone
>> else interested but they can't find the reference post -
>> may even be the author of this vlc thread.
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> Rett Walters
>>

> attached a gzipped version (the original one is very big).
> This is newer than the last I posted (it's for mplayer-cvs); it
> contains a bugfix
> that would cause a/v desync in generic mpeg1/2, and can also mux
> mpeg4video.
>
> Obviously it's not perfect yet :)
>
> Bye,
>    Nico

Hello,

I applied the attached patch and I run the following command

./mencoder -oac lavc -lavcopts acodec=mp2:abitrate=224 -ovc lavc
-lavcopts vcodec=mpeg2video:vbitrate=4700 -mpegopts vbitrate=4700 -of
mpeg <input> -o test.mpg

I still do not get the result that I want. The movie's lenght however is
affected. When I play it with VLC, the player seems to adjust it during
playback. First it starts with 4,01 sec ten goes to 2,20, and eventually
ends up with 1:00.  In addition the playback freezes from time to time
and seeking in the file is not working properly.
I am very interested in experimenting with your patch more. How can I
know how to use the other options it provides. I looked into the sources
but it doesn't tell me much. How about some short man?

Besides, I am looking at alternative solutions. This is another thing
that I am doing to obtain MPEG2 PS
 mencoder -forceidx -of mpeg -ovc lavc -lavcopts
vcodec=mpeg2video:vbitrate=4700 -oac lavc -lavcopts
acodec=mp2:abitrate=224 <input> -o <output>.mpg
 mplayer <output>.mpg -dumpvideo -dumpfile <output>.m2v
 mplayer <output>.mpg -dumpaudio -dumpfile <output>.mp2
 tcmplex -i $output.m2v -p $output.mp2 -m 2 -N -o $output
This one also doesn't work correctly.

In fact I am interested in obtaining mpeg complient with PAL standard,
so apart from adjusting the size of the movie  I would like to ask how
to adjust the frame rate (the input material may be very different). Can
somebody give me hint on that?

Thanks very much so far,
Luke