[vlc] Variable Resolution Streaming

Bryan Willman willman at drexel.edu
Mon Feb 14 07:41:51 CET 2005

Hello all,

I'm interested in implementing a multi-rate streaming media mechanism on
videolan.  I have done so using Real Media's Helix platform, but for various
reasons I am interested in doing this here as well.  Could someone tell me
what would be required as far as implementation to have videolan increase
and decrease the bit rate for a stream based on the packet loss or delay at
the current resolution?  By stream, it is desired that the audio and video
be separated and the bit rate for these streams be modulated independently.

I envision that a media file would need to be encoded at several bit rates,
for example one high resolution, and another low resolution.  The client
starts off subscribing for a file at the highest resolution.  At the onset
of congestion it notifies the server to decrease its resolution via an RTSP
message.  The server would then start streaming the lower resolution file to
the client.  I'm trying to get started in the right direction; if someone
could give me an idea of what would be required to implement the said
mechanism, or what sections of the code this would involve, that would be
great.

Thanks,

Bryan Willman

Drexel University