[vlc] vlc and video4linux

Damian Hischier damian.hischier at top-view.ch
Tue Feb 22 11:00:32 CET 2005

Hello VLC list

First I installed an rpm of the vlc on my SuSE 9.2 linux box. Everything
workd fine until i wanted to use the video4linux. If I start start the
video4linux then the vlc crashes with a floating point exception. By the
way the xawtv and the kdetv are working fine.

Does anybody have an idea how i can solve this problem?

Since i couldn't find out why this v4l dosen't work, I downloaded the
source of the vlc-0.8.1 and tried to compile it. I called the configure
with the foloowing options:

./configure --disable-wxwindows --disable-skins2 --enable-utf8
--enable-dvdread --enable-dvdnav --enable-v4l --enable-dvb --enable-mga
--enable-arts --enable-pvr

and then I got the followin messages.

checking X11/extensions/Xinerama.h usability... no
checking X11/extensions/Xinerama.h presence... yes
configure: WARNING: X11/extensions/Xinerama.h: present but cannot be
compiled
configure: WARNING: X11/extensions/Xinerama.h: check for missing
prerequisite headers?
configure: WARNING: X11/extensions/Xinerama.h: see the Autoconf
documentation
configure: WARNING: X11/extensions/Xinerama.h: section "Present But
Cannot Be Compiled"
configure: WARNING: X11/extensions/Xinerama.h: proceeding with the
preprocessor's result
configure: WARNING: X11/extensions/Xinerama.h: in the future, the
compiler will take precedence
configure: WARNING: ## Report this to the vlc lists. ##
checking for X11/extensions/Xinerama.h... yes
checking for XineramaQueryExtension in -lXinerama_pic... no
checking for XineramaQueryExtension in -lXinerama... yes

What does that mean and what do I have to do to get rid of this message.

Thanks for your help.