[vlc] Re: DIVx better than 3?

Benjamin PRACHT bigben+spam at videolan.org
Thu Jan 6 19:44:51 CET 2005

On Thu, Jan 06, 2005, Ricardo Kleemann wrote :
> Hi,
>
> Is the DIV3 codec in VLC supposed to be the same as DIVx codec? I see that
> DIVx is up to version 5, is that something altogether different?
>
> Does VLC support (or plan to support) a video codec better than DIV3 that is
> supported by windows media player?

VLC uses ffmpeg's implementation of DIV3. I've got no idea if it is
considered as better as Microsoft's one (DIV3 was a hack of one of Microsoft's
early (incompliant) MPEG4 encoders, if I remember correctly. DivX 4 and
DivX 5 are implementations of ISO MPEG4. VLC can use either ffmpeg's own
MPEG 4 implementation, or XviD's one. Both are considered as slithely
better as DIV3, I think. VLC can encode and read video using several
other codecs (MPEG1, MPEG2, h263, h264, WMV 1 and 2, WMV 3 on windows,
MJPEG, Theora, etc...)

--
Benjamin Pracht