[vlc] Re: need help with a project

Benjamin PRACHT bigben+spam at videolan.org
Fri Jan 7 11:36:04 CET 2005

On Thu, Jan 06, 2005, Lewey Taylor wrote :
> We are a fixed broadband provider and have been contracted by our local
> paper to provide a web cam stream of the mardi gras parades.  We need to
> send a stream from the parade route via our wireless connection back to
> our noc.  We then need to make this stream available for the public via
> web browsers.
>
> We have built a test box and got a stream playing in the noc with vlc no
> problem.  We are kinda stuck on how to rebroadcast the stream via a web
> page.  We want something that will require minimal user interaction.
> Like an universal pugin or java based.  The main reason is that the
> local paper is selling ads around the stream so we need to play it in
> the web page.

Well, as I guess that asking your users to install VLC's mozilla plugin
isn't an option, I see 2 options:

- Stream using MMSH as an access and ASFH as a mux, and use Windows
  Media Player's IE Plugin to display the video

- Stream using RTP/RTSP (with VLC or Darwin Streaming Server) and use
  Quicktime's Plugin.

--
BigBen