[vlc] Simple VOD and transcoding solution - is VLC right app ?

Robert Rozman rozman at fri.uni-lj.si
Tue Jan 11 09:56:28 CET 2005

Hi,

I have TV recordings on home web server in mpeg2. I'd like to access them
also from work, but since I'm on ADSL, download speed is too slow. So would
like to transcode recordings on the fly. I'd like to have simple VOD system
accessible from web page. I also use Misterhouse (Perl based home automation
system) so any example in Perl would be more then welcome.

Is VLC right fot the job (click on link to file on web page and play
streamed-transcoded video file) or should I take some other solution (it
should be open sourced) ?

Thanks in advance,

regards,

Rob.