[vlc] Re: Simple VOD and transcoding solution - is VLC right app ?

jonas at scttransport.dk jonas at scttransport.dk
Tue Jan 11 17:44:33 CET 2005

> Hi,
Hello

> I have TV recordings on home web server in mpeg2. I'd like to access them
> also from work, but since I'm on ADSL, download speed is too slow. So
> would
> like to transcode recordings on the fly. I'd like to have simple VOD
> system
> accessible from web page. I also use Misterhouse (Perl based home
> automation
> system) so any example in Perl would be more then welcome.
>
> Is VLC right fot the job (click on link to file on web page and play
> streamed-transcoded video file) or should I take some other solution (it
> should be open sourced) ?

VLC is right, but I dont tihnk u can save http files that easily if u want
them trancoded, maybe u can transcode them with http if u use vlc's http
server, but i dont know much about that.

*I would use VLC VLM feature, that will let u setup any transcoding options
u might need. It uses RTSP instaid of http (Which is better anyway :))

Jonas