[vlc] Re: How can I ?

Mark Moriarty mfmbusiness at earthlink.net
Tue Jan 18 19:37:28 CET 2005

Vlc has a remote control interface (as well as a Telnet/VLM interface, an
http interface,...) allowing control of VLC over a socket.

For example, on Windows I open a command prompt in the directory with vlc,
and launch vlc with:

vlc --rc-extend --extraintf="rc" --rc-host="192.168.2.50:20" --rc-quiet

(substitute whatever your IP address is)

I then open a Telnet app, like TeraTerm Pro, connect to 192.168.2.50 port
20.  It is a "raw" socket connection, not truly Telnet protocol (the
Telnet/VLM interface, I believe, is a true Telnet).

The basic telnet built into Windows works for this.  You would open a
command prompt, type in:
Telnet 192.168.2.50 20

Type in Help, and it spits out the commands currently implemented in rc.

The interface lets you start a playlist item, control volume, seek, ..., via
this socket interface.