[vlc] When do we see working OpenGL in recent OS X VLC builds?

Galen galen at myhome.net
Thu Jan 27 07:45:56 CET 2005

I'm on a 1.33 GHz G4 PowerBook (not far from the current fastest
PowerBooks or even G4s) and the latest 10.3 build and I have
desperately wanted to watch 720p and 1080i HDTV streams raw, but
everything online said you need a dual G5 - and this seems to be true
based on what I experimented with. Everything I tried failed
miserably... EyeTV, QuickTime, current and past builds of VLC, mplayer,
pretty much anything that could decode MPEG2 to the screen. When I
compiled command line MPEG like ffmpeg which decoded to null, and that
was the only thing that proved to perform well enough, so I knew that
my system could handle the raw MPEG 2 decoding.

So after quite a bit of playing, I have found that 0.7.2 works great
provided that OpenGL is setup and a few other settings properly
configured. It virtually eliminates the issues with slow YUV/RGB
conversion. The performance goes from unwatchable to beautiful for even
the most complex, high data rate 1080i and 720p transport streams. Even
for lower resolution stuff, the video resizing is absolutely
beautifully fluid, instead of jerky and problematic like in 0.8.2. And
for fun, you can always apply OpenGL effects with no performance hit.
On lower-end machines, this makes DVD playback work smoothly for once,
and lowers laptop battery usage while increasing available CPU time in
most situations.

When will we see this feature in a newer build? I miss having easy GUI
control of post processing and an equalizer, not to mention that
keeping two versions on hand gets annoying (some newer formats and
stuff doesn't work on 0.7.2!)

Is there any chance we'll see better de-interlacing performance as
well? Some of the de-interlacing features (particularly the better,
higher-quality modes) cause playback issues - but I wonder if these
could be accelerated, via OpenGL or better G4 optimization. I know my
Radeon 9700 has an awful lot of additional GPU time available, even
when handling HDTV....

Tiger (Mac OS 10.4) will probably hand off all this YUV conversion
stuff to the GPU nicely through core graphics and whatnot, but until
then, can we get a version of VLC working great? We already have the
technology, just incorporate it properly! With all these Mac minis out
there with G4s along the lines of my machine, I bet a lot of people
will be hooking these things up to their HDTVs. With a small size,
FireWire to import HDTV and DVI out to play back the video, people are
going to want to start using these with their HDTV sets... and VLC will
be the perfect solution.

Thoughts anybody?

-Galen