[vlc] Videolan campaign might backfire

Peter Maersk-Moller peter at maersk-moller.net
Tue Jul 12 14:54:29 CEST 2005

Hi

Regarding the VLC campaign against software patents.

I'm running a little MPEG-4 based cable-TV business in Denmark
(for viewers in Denamrk only) and are actively promoting VLC to customers.

While we and our more experinced hardcore users understands
the

   'Beware: VideoLAN might disappear due to patent legislation'

campaign, it frighten our average John and Jane Doe users into
not using VLC.

Their typical response is 'Why start using VLC if or when it
is going to dissapear ?'.

Such average users know nothing of software patents, are not
yet hooked on VLC and react by not start using VLC at all rather
than supporting the fight against software patents in Europe.

We are many that fight the software patents which we believe
is a sure way to enslave Europe economically and slow down
innovation and economical growth, but scaring potential
followers before they tried the benefit of your player,
is backfirering.

It is fine to advocate for freedom to innovate, but scaring
away potentially newcomers at your frontdoor before you
had a chance to 'teach them the way', is simply counterproductive,
if you want to recruit support to the cause.

Anyway, we're still going to propmote VLC, but the current campaign
just makes it harder.

Kind regards

Peter Maersk-Moller