[vlc] No audio input (capture) device found after XP SP2 installation

David Ball davidtball at gmail.com
Sun Jul 17 17:10:02 CEST 2005

     Hi there.  WinXP Pro, ATI TV-Wonder PCI card here on a Compaq
Deskpro EN with built-in audio.  Started from scratch by doing a
complete rebuild of the box, and after installing VLC, I was able to
use Direct Show by selecting the proper video and audio input.
However, I then installed Service Pack 2 and following the obligatory
reboots, I no longer see an audio device that I can select.  The video
input device (ATI card) is still there, but the audio is not.  I
updated all audio and video drivers, but to no avail.

     Also, while trying to watch live TV via the Capture method, the
video appears completely scrambled and not viewable at all.  This
worked fine previously, but I have since put a larger hard drive in
the machine and now the video is completely scrambled/unviewable.

     Currently using VLC 0.7.2 (due to the BSOD issue with 0.8.2 which
I have yet to figure out....setting the dshow-size didn't seem to
help) via wxWindows interface.  Any ideas/advice would be appreciated.

David