[vlc] transcode to AC3?

jmzorko at mac.com jmzorko at mac.com
Mon Jul 18 20:07:58 CEST 2005

Hello, all ...

I'm trying to use VLC to transcode the audio in an MPEG2 PS, which is
current mpga, to AC3 to conform to ATSC specifications.  However, i've
not been successful.  This is what i'm doing:

./VLC ~/work/Preview1713420.mpg --sout '#transcode{acodec=ac3}' --sout
file/ts:Preview1713420_transcoded.trp --noloop

... and when I play the resultant file (Preview1713420_transcoded.trp)
in VLC, the Info window still shows that Stream 0 is mpga, while stream
1 is mpgv.  I tried specifying "a52" instead of "ac3", but nothing
changed.

How do I transcode from mpga to ac3 in VLC?  Any help is greatly
appreciated!

Regards,

John

Falling You - exploring the beauty of voice and sound
New album, "Touch", available now
http://www.magnatune.com/artists/falling_you
** now available on iTunes, doncha know **