[vlc] Re: vlc options on a windows box

Keir Vaughan-Taylor keirvt at optusnet.com.au
Sun Jul 31 09:36:38 CEST 2005

Thanks for that it is mosty helpful. The bat file is working and I
hadn't come across the options list and would have been flumuxed for
some time without the hints. Thanks!

I can get the option format from the information field at the top of the
GUI but there is still some judicious translating to get it into the
syntax from the options page. I might work it out given enough time but
it would be really nice if the documentation explained the correlation
between the gui feedback syntax and the command line syntax

Using the bat command file by adding appropriate options I've got the
program to run. Looking at the VLC GUI after it starts running shows
that it knows the correct capture card. This is a good start.  I so far
haven't deduced the option syntax to get it to stream locally. Also  to
set the streaming to be say http with a particular port number.

 I tried --sout-display to get local display but this isn't working  I
tried --access="http,mux=ts,url=192.168.1.100" to get http streaming and
--sout-transcode-vcodec="mp4v,vb=1024,scale=1"    What am I doing wrong?
A few more hints would be very appreciated.

For your interest:     I am doing a job for a university laboratory. We
have the camera observing a robot that is performing scientific
experiments. Users can control the robot using VNC but VNC video
feedback is poor so I am using VLC and "broadcasting" as http and the
users can watch the robot operation on Mozilla. The users are all
chemists and I don't want them to have to learn the GUI entries. I need
the VLC to start up automatically with all the appropriate settings.

I agree that  the Windows operating system is pretty confining.