[vlc] Re: vlc 0.8.1, Unichrome Pro, no video

Dermot McGahon dermot at dspsrv.com
Thu Jun 2 11:13:18 CEST 2005

Hi Tim,

> It is falling back to x11:
> [00000261] xvideo video output warning: no free XVideo port found for
> format 0x3
> 2317679 (yv12)
> [00000190] main module debug: using video output module "x11"

Ahh. It's very picky about format. Try --xvideo-chroma YV12, uppercase
and lowercase give different hex values.

>> A couple of obvious differences between our logs. You get "forced"
>> packed YUY2, I get planar YV12. You should only get forced chroma
>> if you specify it. I don't think we support this chroma, so better
>> not try and force it.
> I have to force it to YUY2.  If I don't I get:
> X Error of failed request:  BadMatch (invalid parameter attributes)
>   Major opcode of failed request:  139 (XVideo)
>   Minor opcode of failed request:  17 ()
>   Serial number of failed request:  50
> This is true on my EPIA M10K/CLE266 based system as well.

Might be worth looking into why this is. What version of VLC do you
have? Would you be willing to compile the latest SVN version? Chances
are it will work and if not we will be able to debug.

http://developers.videolan.org/svn.html

> The CN400 supports h/w mpeg decoding.  I can't say that the driver or
> other video applications (e.g. mplayer or mythtv) are using it because
> I'm only seeing about 30% reduction in CPU utilization over an M10k
> system.  The CPU clock speed different (1ghz vs 1.3ghz) could explain
> the improvement.

For MPEG-2? If you are seeing 60% on the CLE266 and 30% on the CN400,
I don't think you are seeing full VLD decoding on either. If you are
interested, see if mplayer or xine have been compiled with a video
output method called xxmc.

>> Try and let vlc pick the chroma. If the logs indicate it is still
>> falling back to x11, we'll start debugging the video output code.
> I get the "BadMatch" error mentioned above.

You shouldn't. There was a bug fixed a while back. If you are using
0.8.1 or older you probably don't have this fix yet.

Timestamp: Sun Dec 19 20:49:10 2004
Author: gbazin
Message:

* modules/video_output/x11/xcommon.c: fixed nasty bug with YV12 xvideo
output (fixes problem with unichrome driver).

Dermot.