[vlc] resiliency to network problems

Cian Cullinan cian.cullinan at gmail.com
Tue Jun 7 12:11:34 CEST 2005

Hi everyone, I have a small question to do with VLC's resiliency to
network problems when taking a network stream as an input and
outputting a multicast network stream (acting as a relay server in
other words).
Is there a way to ensure VLC will continue streaming after an
interruption on it's input network stream? At the moment I have a
simple setup where an instance of VLC is capturing from a TV card on
machine  A and creating a mmsh stream which I can pull from a remote
machine B.

     _________        (mmsh)       __________
    | Machine A | -------------------->|  Machine B |
    |  (encoder)  |                       |    (viewer)   |
    ------------------                        -------------------

  However if there is an interruption on the mmsh stream between the
two machines for some reason (usually network related), then the
player on B stops and does not restart after the network returns to
normal until I press play again.
My concern is that I would like to have B act as a relay server for
many clients for a 24x7 stream and need it to be resilient to network
hiccups between A and B. If the input stream fails for some reason,
when it comes back B should start streaming again. How do I go  about
this?
Will streaming over a UDP based protocol solve this (I cannot test
this myself at the moment so apologies for having to ask), RTSP in
particular (I'd rather use a "pull" method than a "push" one)?  It
seems to be possible to write a script that will monitor B's state via
the rc interface and periodically try to restart a stream if it has
stopped but maybe there's a nicer way to do this?

Thanks,
Cian