[vlc] Re: Directshow Input - Blue Screen of Death

Benjamin Pracht bigben+spam at videolan.org
Fri Jun 17 12:52:38 CEST 2005

On Fri, Jun 17, 2005, Brian Wang wrote :
> Hello all,
>
> I am trying to get my webcam working in VLC through the DirectShow
> input and keep getting the blue screen hard crash.
>
> Here is my findings, when doing [File] -> [Open Capture Device] ->
> [DirectShow]:
> 1. It works for the VLC 0.7.2 release version.
> 2. It works for VLC 0.8.0-test2.
> 3. It crashes for the VLC 0.8.0 release version and onwards, including the
> new vlc-trunk.
>
> Is it a known problem? What should I do to debug the problem? What is the
> "professional"
> way of debugging VLC under M$ Windows?
> I tried adding msg_Dbg() calls across dshow.c, putting delays after each
> call and cross
> compiled it under my Linux box. How can I find out where it crashed?
> However, it does not help much as I think the messages are queued up
> before BSOD. The log file shows VLC has gone through the DirectShow device
> enumeration though.
>
> Here is some platform info:
> 1. Windows XP SP2 (Traditional Chinese version, if relevant)
> 2. Pentium III Mobile 1GHz with ATI Mobility Radeon AGP (Compaq Evo N410c).
> The device tested is a USB webcam (UMAX AstraPix PC200).
> 3. VLC 0.8.0 and plus (VLC 0.7.2 works fine though)
> 4. Scenario: I presssed [Ctrl + C] to bring up the DirectShow dialog and
> pressed OK.
> Then, the infamous blue screen appeared and a hard reset was required.
> 5. I can reproduce the problem every time. No exceptions.

Well, the only explanation I see is that a call to a certain function of the
directshow API has been added between 0.8.0test2 and 0.8.0, that makes
your drivers crash...

Try updating your webcam drivers first. If thta doesn't help, having a
look at the commit messages archive could help find out the guilty call.

You can also use the logger interface, to see what debug message is
printed right before the crash. That could help to find the guilty piece
of code (but again, this is likely a driver issue)

--
BigBen